Thailand has given 28 countries the ability to enter Thailand by the visa on arrival facility. The list of these 28 countries is given at the end of the post.
If you don’t know if you are eligible for a Visa On Arrival, please click my detailed post here ==> How to Get a Thailand Tourist Visa
Documents needed for the Visa On Arrival in Thailand :
- Passport with atleast 6 months of validity.
- One Passport Size Photo ( 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4.5) Both are acceptable.
- Boarding Pass of the flight from which you arrived.
- Visa On Arrival Form
- Arrival and Departure Card (This is given by the airline during the flight)
- Fee for Visa on Arrival of 1000 Thai Baht (only in Thai currency)
- Hotel Reservation where you will be staying the longest.
- Any currency equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family to show adequate finances for the stay in Thailand.
- Return ticket from Thailand within 15 days.
Detailed Step by Step Procedure to obtain Visa On Arrival :
When you board the flight from your city to Bangkok, you will be given a Arrival / Departure Card which you will need to duly fill and keep with you till the Visa on Arrival counter. The Arrival and Departure Card looks like this :
Leave the field where it says visa number. After the flight you will be arriving at the beautiful Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Muaeng Airport (the process for both airports is same). You should then arrive at the Airport and find the Visa On Arrival counter.
How to Find the Visa On Arrival Counter :
When you arrive into the airport, you will see a board having the transfer infomation. Go to the Immigration counters No. 2 which is to the West.
Before you enter the Visa on Arrival counters, you will see the TMB Money exchanger to convert your country’s currency into Thai curency. The airport’s exchange rates are always high, only convert a small amount and then convert in Bangkok. Proceed to the Visa On Arrival Counter :
Here you will see a big line of mostly Indians, Chinese people who will be standing in a queue. Keep in mind you will have to wait for an hour or two if the queue is big, so if you have a connecting flight to any other city, keep a gap of 2 hours maximum.
There will be two queue’s here for the visa on arrival. One is the general queue and the second is the fast track queue. The fast track queue is for tour companies and similar people while the individual and families can also line up here. The fast track queue will process your application faster but at the rate of 200 Baht. This will come in handy if you have absolutely no time between a connecting flight.
There will be document checks and form stamping at the Immigration counters. After that you will be waiting in the waiting area for your token given to you by the document checking officer. There will be 4 – 5 counters which will have a digital banner showing the numbers called. Get up when your number is shown to the appropriate counter. Here there will be 2 officers at the counter who will check your documents again and ask you to look into the camera. They will generally ask a question or two like Which hotel will you be staying at? and etc. This completely depends on the officer.
Quick Step by Step Procedure :
- Get the form from the counter outside. Fill it there as there wont be any writing desk inside.
- Get in the line for the General Immigration check on the right hand side
- If you want the Fast Track service which will check the documents fast, you will be charged 200 Baht. This is only one counter. (optional)
- After checking the documents, they will give a token
- Take it and wait for the number
- Complete the Immigration stamping process.
- Claim your baggage and get ready to enjoy Thailand!
List of Airports and Ports where Visa on Arrival can be obtained :
1. Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
2. Betong Immigration Checkpoint, Yala
3. Chiangmai International Airport, Chiangmai
4. Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
5. Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
6. Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
7. Don Muang International Airport, Bangkok
8. Hatyai International Airport, Songkhla
9. Krabi Immigration Checkpoint, Krabi
10. Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint, Rayong
11. Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
12. Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
13. Phuket Immigration Checkpoint, Phuket
14. Phuket International Airport, Phuket
15. Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
16. Samui Airport, Surat Thani
17. Samui Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
18. Satun Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
19. Songkhla Harbour Immigraion Checkpoint, Songkhla
20. Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
21. Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
22. Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
23. Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bangkok)
24. U Tapao Airport, Rayong (Pattaya)